South Africans with expired green barcoded firearm licenses and white firearm license cards will need to continue waiting as on the 11th September, as the police made a proposal to the Portfolio Committee on Police that a Firearm Amnesty should be declared for the period 1 October 2019 until 31 March 2020. This unfortunately was not accepted.
The amnesty will most likely cover the following scenarios :
- Firearms with ‘old green licences” that were never re- licenced;
- Firearms of which “white licences” have expired; and
- Firearms that you may have in your possession (eg estate firearms), which have never been licenced in your name.
We at Specialised Weapons and Ammunition Trading Company, urge all South Africans to remain patient with regards to the amnesty. Our recommendation is to be a prepared as possible, so that when the amnesty is formally communicated, you are in a position to easily renew licenses.
Here are our recommendations:
- Immediately do the necessary proficiency training (if you haven’t done it yet); and
- Immediately apply for a competency certificate or renewal of a competency certificate if you do not have a valid competency certificate.
Give us a shout on 011 640 5019 if you require any clarity and assistance.